Brandi Venable

Humans of the Hive
Brandi Venable

Before pursuing her teaching career, Forensic Science 1 & 2 and Chemistry teacher Brandi Venable was a registered Medical Technologist. She worked in a local hospital lab until 2022. 

“I’ve only been a teacher for the last 9 years,” she said. “I kind of fell into this career when I was offered an opportunity with Del Mar to teach Medical Terminology and Medical Ethics to high school students.”

After being offered this opportunity, Venable was placed at Flour Bluff. She has now been teaching at Flour Bluff High School for 5 years.

“During my first year at Del Mar, I was placed at Flour Bluff to teach 3 classes of Medical Terminology to students in the Health Science Program,” she said. “It was an amazing first year with some really amazing students and I decided to pursue my teaching certificate.”

Venable teaches classes where hands-on learning is involved. The students can better understand the material, can engage more, and get to have more experiences. 

“My favorite thing about teaching is seeing students connect with the material,” she said. “I love to be hands-on and get the students moving around and doing things.”

With the technological exposure increasing around students, student engagement can be difficult to maintain.

“We live in a world where technology is at a student’s fingertips and that is a fight I think many teachers are experiencing in their classrooms,” Venable said. “I really strive to make outside connections with the curriculum to show students how it’s used outside the classroom.”

Outside of school, Venable is an avid reader and enjoys binge-watching shows on streaming platforms like Netflix and Hulu. 

“I’m obsessed with True Crime Documentaries and podcasts,” she said. “It makes sense since I teach forensics.” 

Venable is a proud Flour Bluff Alumni, and both of her children are high school students. Being surrounded by amazing teachers in the district and some that she can call her colleagues is what makes her feel blessed. 

“I’d like to give a huge shout-out to Mrs. Huckabee who was a huge inspiration for me to study science in college,” she said. “And to Mr. Beauchamp for helping me appreciate literature and enjoy reading.”