Kate Yniguez

Senior Spotlight
Kate Yniguez

At Flour Bluff High School, well-rounded students are all across the board. Senior Kate Yniguez is grateful for the opportunities she was given for a balanced high school experience. She plays on two varsity sports teams- Basketball and Golf, and has leadership roles as the Golf Captain, Interact Club officer and National Honor Society officer. 

“I have played basketball with the senior group for so long that they feel like my sisters,” Yniguez said. “And I love that the golf team all plays individually but come together at the end to form something great.”

She has lived in Flour Bluff for 18 years. Being introduced to sports at a young age helped her athletic career in high school. 

“I have played basketball for 10 years since third grade and have participated in all of the little leagues that Flour Bluff has provided,” Yniguez said. “I played in the Little Dribblers for four years and coached inter murals for the 6th graders.”

Throughout the years, the community she has been surrounded by has grown stronger year by year. The amount of care and love the group of people has shared for her and her teammates is inevitable.

“My favorite thing about the community is their support for all the athletic events,” she said. “They never let any of the sports teams down.”

Managing different extracurricular activities is not easy for anyone, but can build self-discipline, teamwork, communication skills and help students be successful.

“It is fun to experience two completely different groups of people and get treated like family for both,” she said. “I am honored to play on both the basketball and golf teams and I look forward to going to regionals for both.”

Looking forward, Yniguez plans to attend Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi for her associate’s degree, then will transfer to Texas A&M University-Kingsville. 

“I will be studying in the Irma Lerma Rangel School of Pharmacy for their 5-year pharmacy program and become Dr. Kate Yniguez of pharmacy,” she said.

There have been many teachers/coaches Yniguez has worked with throughout kindergarten to high school, but her second-grade teacher is one she will not forget. 

“Dr. Sullivan saw my potential,” she said, “and gave me the tools to achieve excellence.”