UIL Academic Team Reigned Regional Champions

The UIL Academic Team will send 10 students to State Competition May 5.

The Flour Bluff UIL Academic Team became the 5A UIL Regional Champions when they competed at the University of Texas at San Antonio last weekend when 14 students competed. 12 students will proceed to the state level on May 5-7.

“… It has been probably 10 years since we won regionals,” UIL Coordinator Pam Pailes said. “Last year we got second, so to get first this year was huge for us.”

Four teams placed in the UIL Regional Academic meet including Computer Science, Mathematics, Spelling and Vocabulary, and Number Sense. Number Sense Regional Champion Nathaniel Puumala “feels good” about heading to the state meet.

“ I just wanna do more and plan to do more next year and just think it’s fun,”  Puumala said. “I’ve taken more number sense tests and the only one I’m gonna practice more by taking more tests and practicing in my head any time of day.”

Competitors ranged from different grade levels and competing experience. 

This is actually my first year in the spelling team and I joined it because…I thought it would be fun and I was right,” Spelling Champion Jessica Hu said.  “Going to competitions was a lot of fun. Learning new words..I feel like I learned a lot this year.” 

The academic team is an opportunity where students can expand their knowledge. Competing against each other can be difficult but in the end, enjoyable.

“More people should participate in UIL academics,” Pailes said. I don’t think how many people realize that it is available, that it is fun, and that there are so many different events that they can be a part of. I wish a lot more people could be involved.”

On Thursday, 12 students will compete at the University of Texas at Austin for the UIL Academic State Meet.