Varsity girls basketball wins district, shoots for state

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Hayle Campbell dribbles the ball across the court during the Jan. 17 game against Veterans Memorial. The Hornets won 54-44.

Photo by Tyler Bills

Photo by Tyler Bills

Photo by Tyler Bills

Girls varsity basketball has ended the regular season strong with a district record of 6-2 in the south zone, and have clinched a spot in the playoffs. 

Coach James McMinn, who just celebrated his 500th career win,  is focused on continuing to improve the team’s skill and to reach the team’s ultimate goal of making it to state.

The Lady Hornets won first place in the Rockport tournament on Dec. 1-3 and went 4-1 in the West Oso tournament on Dec. 27-28.

The team is doing well and has grown stronger since the beginning of the year; they have filled in spots left by graduated seniors by moving up some of the younger players, McMinn said.

“I think we’re doing really good. We’re all working together, and we’ve bonded well, so we really play as a team,” senior Danielle Harrel said.

Harrel is one of the three team captains and brings some good leadership and organization to the team, making sure to do everything she can to help the team reach state, Harrel said.

“You have to take it one step at a time and have that as the ultimate goal, but the little steps along the way are important. You have to buy into the process and if you just worry about the end part of it, then it won’t work,” McMinn said.

Despite some struggles and tough moments this season, the players support one another.

“The rest of us are really good at encouraging each other and bringing each other back up, especially when one of us gets in trouble with the coach or something. We’re really uplifting,” Harrel said.

The team has bonded well together and have kept each other in good spirits even through some frustrating moments during games, she said.