Lady Hornet’s Swing Into District Championship

Caleb Griffis

Left to right: Sydney Salinas, Ally Ramos, Harley Elam

Caleb Griffis, Staff Writer

The undefeated Flour Bluff Lady Hornet Softball team is heading into playoffs with a 16-0 district record. The team made history being the first team in the school to finish a district season without a loss. The Lady Hornets have played a fantastic season, fighting with everything they have, every moment of every game.

The Flour Bluff Lady Hornets enter the Class 5A Bi-District Championship as the District Champions of District 29-5A, and play against the District 30-5A fourth place, Roma. The Bi-District Championship took place as a best of three series. The games take place under neutral territory at Falfurrias High School.

The Lady Hornets began game one of the Class 5A Bi-District championship with a huge hit to center field on the first pitch, but the score remained 0-0 until a Roma error during the second inning gave the Lady Hornets 2 runs. The Lady Hornets kept the momentum going strong throughout the third inning, ending with one more run. A huge diving catch into a double play by Ally Ramos ended the top of the fourth and gave the Lady Hornets plenty of momentum. The Lady Hornets doubled their lead up to 8-0 by the end of the fourth, and eventually finished the game early 10-0 in the bottom of the fifth inning.

The Lady Hornets carried their momentum over to Game 2, scoring 5 runs in the first inning, including runs from Neveah Lanter, Isabella Perez, Mia Ortega, and a 2-run RBI from Evelyn McPeak. The Lady Hornets kept Roma opportunities minimal throughout the game, holding Roma to 0 runs throughout the game. The energy was contagious all night, and the Lady Hornets never stopped fighting. In the top of the 3rd inning, Emily Mayo pushed the score to 8-0 with a huge, 2-run Home Run. During the top of the 5th inning, the Lady Hornets increased the score up to 10-0, and the game ended shortly after.

The Lady Hornets are set to play the Weslaco East Lady Wildcats in Round 2 of the playoffs this Friday at 7 P.M. in Weslaco East.