Senior concludes marathon of high school

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dylan Limas, Editor-In-Chief and 2019 graduate

I remember it like it was yesterday. When I took my first steps through the front doors, it felt as if I was lost in a big city, because I had no clue where anything was. This was the beginning of a whole new chapter in my life.
It took me a while to get acclimated to my surroundings. Once I did, time seemed to fly by twice as fast. The next thing I knew, I was halfway through my sophomore year. It goes to show that life comes at you fast. You get so busy with things that you don’t ever step back and just appreciate things.
To summarize my four years, I would simply say that there were lots of ups and downs. The thing I found the most challenging was finding motivation day in and day out. Everyone has those days when they find it hard to even get out of bed in the morning. You start to ask yourself, “what’s the point of even going to school?” Whenever you start feeling like this you just have to remember that there are bigger and better things on the horizon. You (thankfully) won’t have to spend your whole life in high school. The name of the game is about trusting the process.
High school really is a marathon, with your biggest opponent being yourself. There will be people along the way who will try to convince you to be something you aren’t. It may sound cliche, but high school is all about finding out who you really are. You discover what sorts of things you’re passionate about, as well as what things you’re less interested in. It’s a rarity nowadays to see people just be themselves.
Although it may not seem like it, everything you do is important to your future. Certain classes seem unnecessary and tedious, but just remember that you won’t have to be in there forever. Once you graduate, you’ll be able to begin your own career in whatever you want to do. The best thing to do right now is to enjoy the present. Tomorrow will come when it’s meant to, so don’t waste away your teenage years worrying about things that are out of your control.
My message to the underclassmen is that you can never get your high school years back, so be sure to enjoy them. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone by trying new things. There are endless opportunities that you can endeavor in. Having something that you are part of gives you a chance to meet new people and learn new things.
You may have anxiety about meeting new people, but chances are that they feel the same way. I wouldn’t have the great friends I have now if I never made the decision to talk to them. Also, don’t waste your time on people who don’t have your best interests in mind. Find yourself people that will support you through the good and the bad times. Most importantly, make friends with people who aren’t afraid to give you their honest opinion, because their truthfulness is beneficial to you.
To all my fellow graduating seniors: We made it! We survived the dreaded STAAR end-of-course exams and Advanced Placement exams, the time-consuming homework assignments and the grueling projects. Through everything, we stayed strong and kept grinding. To all my friends reading this, thank you for making me feel welcome and being with me every step of the way. And to the students I’ve never even talked to: I wish you all the best of luck in whatever you aspire to be.
High school is a magical time, and the memories I’ve made at Flour Bluff will stay with me for as long as I live.