Filed under Opinions, Showcase

Letter from the editor: don’t wish your life away

Another year is down in the books, and I don’t know about you, but I’ve enjoyed it.
I hope this last week of school has gone well for everyone. Personally, I’ve been sick for the past two and a half weeks, and being locked in my house and using Snapchat as my only means of communication for all this time has been trying. Some of you might be thinking, “two and a half weeks of sitting in bed, watching TV and being waited on by my mom? How is that not the best time ever?” I’ll confide that maybe the first day or two of being sick is fun, but as I write this tonight, I’d give anything to be able to go to school.
However, I’d be lying if I said I haven’t learned anything in all this time being quarantined (both physically and socially). As cheesy as it sounds, appreciate the time you spend with the people that love you. As I said earlier, I’d give anything to go back to school one more day and be with my friends and teachers. If I had known that three Tuesdays ago was the last time I’d see them before the year ended, I would have enjoyed that time more.
Something else that comes to mind while writing this is something my mom once told me. She told me that my great-grandmother said, “don’t wish your life away.” I think about this phrase a lot. I hear a lot of people saying how they just want this year to be over – freshman who just want to be sophomores, sophomores who just want to be juniors, juniors who just want to be seniors and seniors who just want to graduate and get out of here, myself included. No matter how much you want it to be later, don’t wish your life away. Hold on to your last days of school for just an extra minute.
I invite whoever is reading this, whether you’re a freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, already graduated or haven’t even stepped in a high school yet, to take a minute to look at where you are. Think of your family, friends and the people who love you and think of where you’ve been and where you’re going. You worked hard to get here, and you’ve got something exciting to look forward to. Don’t lose sight of that and everything will be fine, and don’t let anyone tell you different.
Now I’m going to talk a bit about the Waldron Street Journal. The time I spent being editor this year, on staff last year and even being in Journalism, is something I wouldn’t trade. I’ve made some amazing friendships and had some equally amazing adventures being a student journalist.
There are three people I’d like to mention that are a part of WSJ – the first is my adviser, Jeanette Krizak. Even though she can be crazy (in a good way), she supports us and makes sure we get the best opportunities for reporting and taking photos. She also makes sure we’re on deadline and is one of those teachers who you know really cares about you, even after you graduate. Second, I’d like to acknowledge Nikita Adhikari, who graduated and was the editor of WSJ last year. Since meeting her over the summer of 2016, she’s become one of my good friends and I thank her greatly for dealing with my newspaper and “how-to-be-editor” questions well after she could have deleted my phone number and moved on, and for giving me her chief-of-staff wisdom. Lastly, I’d also like to recognize Dylan Limas, who I am passing the editor torch to. I know he has good ideas, and I can’t wait to see them in action. Good luck, Dylan.
As my last article for the Waldron Street Journal comes to a close (and I may or may not be crying), I want to express my thanks to everyone. Thank you to my teachers for guiding me through the past four years. Thank you to my friends for being there for me. And yes, even you reading this. Thank you for reading our high school newspaper, and please continue to read it next year.
It’s been a crazy (again, in a good way) four years at Flour Bluff High School, but I’m happy that I lived through it. Now I’m excited to take the next step – going to college at UT-Austin to study journalism, and I’ll be taking what I’ve learned here with me.