Filed under News

AP art paints picture of success

Junior Anna Larsen, and freshmen Brooke Madland, Marlena Osgood, Emilie Howard and Kayla-Anne McKamie all advanced to the state Visual Arts Scholastic Event state contest. Madland, Osgood and Howard all medaled at the event.

Contributed by Valerie Lichtenberger

Contributed by Valerie Lichtenberger

Out of the 47 Flour Bluff students who participated in this year’s Visual Arts Scholastic Event, or VASE, 43 art students medaled and seven advanced to state. Two of those students, junior Anna Larsen and freshman Kayla-Anne McKamie, advanced to state with two pieces of artwork each.

“We had the most advance to state from (Corpus Christi),” Advanced Placement art teacher Valerie Lichtenberger said.

To prepare for VASE, the students had to work for almost two months, she said. One of the major rules of the VASE competition was that all the artwork submitted had to be completed with the same teacher. Other projects the art program was involved with this year included two students winning at a breast cancer awareness exhibit at the South Texas Art Museum and participation in the Congressional Art Competition. A few students in the art program are even working on a logo for the City of Corpus Christi Fire Station #13’s uniform.

Along with that, works of art from several students will be published in a book about the devastation from Hurricane Harvey. The book is titled “Texas Strong: Testimony, Art, and Photography Tells the Story of the Most Horrific Storm to Ever Touch Texas Coastal Communities.” The book will be available this September. There will be a reception for the book on August 11 where the students will be honored.

Another achievement of the art program this year was the rate of growth of students in AP art.

“We are trying to get the number to grow,” Lichtenberger said. “The idea is for the students to really love art.”

Among all the buzz inside the art classroom, Seniors Timothy Pannell and Kayla Robles also earned $1,500 art scholarships to Del Mar College.

“Art is what I want to do,” Pannell said. “I want to be an art teacher so I can help kids before high school.”

Pannell said he likes AP art because it pushes the students further and to work harder. Charlotte Walker, his Flour Bluff art teacher who passed away in 2016, has been his inspiration for his love of art.

“Mrs. Walker influenced me to continue with art when I wasn’t always confident in my art,” he said.

In addition, Pannell became the first student to receive the Charlotte Walker Scholarship, a scholarship for students in AP art who will pursue higher education in art.
Pannell also shared that a major inspiration in his artwork this year was his family, whom he portrayed throughout his art pieces.

Along with Pannell, several art students recently completed their AP college portfolios which get sent to colleges looking for students to offer scholarships, too. The portfolios are a major part of being in AP art.