Filed under Features

Stress overwhelms seniors

Colleges reach back out to students

Senior pictures, application deadlines, scholarships, stress, sleep deprivation and procrastination. This is what senior year looks like for the class of 2018.

With many applications deadlines approaching, seniors have become frantic and stressed as they gather recommendation letters and high school and dual credit transcripts.  

Around this time of year, colleges are responding back to priority and early admission deadlines, leaving seniors either relieved or let down. Seniors can land in one of three categories when receiving a letter back from a college: accepted, on the waiting list or rejected.

When applying to multiple colleges, some seniors may run into the fortunate problem of being accepted to multiple universities and having to  make a choice in just a few months.

Senior Cole Feerick applied and was accepted to both Texas A&M – Corpus Christi and Texas A&M – Kingsville. He chose to go to Texas A&M – Kingsville.

“The engineering program was something that interested me more,” Feerick said.

Over at the University Preparatory High School Program campus, a financial math class was added second and sixth period to give seniors time to work on applications and Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Some of the seniors feel as if this class is a waste of time, while others are finding it to be helpful.

FAFSA is an application that is filled out early in the year for people to become eligible for financial aid to help with the expenses of going to college. Depending on the size and income of a family can impact how much a student will receive from the federal government.

The class itself was added to allow seniors to get help and have a support system that they may not have at home.

Within the class, grades are based on filling out applications and meeting scholarship deadlines. It is giving the students more opportunities to gather some extra scholarship money and be ahead of the students who aren’t in the class.

“…we just felt that the class would help them be more prepared.” UP director Allison Schaum said.

Schaum said she hopes that this class will be able to help seniors leave high school with a plan, and to have the mindset of continuing with their education.

Feerick hopes to be able to fit financial math into his schedule next semester due to how tough it has been to balance his dual credit workload, college applications and scholarships.

Senior Nicholas Williamson is currently enrolled in financial math and has found it helpful because it allows him time to meet deadlines, relieving some of the pressure of being a senior.

Williamson applied to University of Texas and Texas A&M University and has chosen to go to UT to major in psychology.

Many seniors are advising juniors to get a jump start on scholarships, not to let senioritis get the best of them and to maintain grades and extracurricular activities.