Snow covers Corpus Christi, students enjoy day off

Back to Article
Back to Article

Snow blankets a house in Padre Island on Dec. 8.

Photo by Blaine Young

Photo by Blaine Young

Photo by Blaine Young

Students and faculty woke up to a big surprise the morning of Dec. 8 — the city was covered in a light blanket of snow.

On Thursday, Dec. 7, the National Weather Service announced that the Corpus Christi area was under a winter weather advisory. At 6 p.m., Flour Bluff ISD posted on its webpage that school would be delayed two hours Friday due to the potentially snowy weather. Even though there was a winter weather advisory, the first in Corpus Christi in 1,737 days, many people believed it would not snow.

“I thought that it was just going to get cold and rain, not actually snow,” senior Kayla Music said.

Snow started falling a little after dark, and by around 2:30 a.m., the streets and rooftops were covered by a white carpet. In some areas of the city, the snow was fluffy, and in others, it was more icy. The National Weather Service had reports of up to seven inches of snow.

Photo courtesy of: MacKenzie Clark
Freshman MacKenzie Clark and her dog enjoyed a snow day in Corpus Christi on Dec. 8.

The last time Corpus Christi had seen snow was on Christmas Eve in 2004. That night, the city got 5.2 inches.

At 7:34 a.m., the district posted that school was canceled for the day due to a lack of electricity on the campuses, a lucky occurence for students since some area school districts, including Corpus Christi and Calallen, only had a late start to school. Many Flour Bluff students took advantage of the unanticipated snow day.

“We woke up at 7, went outside and tried to make a snowman, but he broke,” freshman Madison McCauley said. “We had a snowball fight, and my younger siblings jumped on the trampoline while it was covered in snow.”

The snowfall didn’t last long — the snow stopped falling between 7:30 and 8 and snow on the ground melted by noon.

The snowy experience, while short-lived, was enjoyed by many students.