Advice from top stdent

Senior Hallie Trial

Dear freshmen,

While I would love to say, “Here are some tips I wish someone had given me when I was your age,” I actually was told; I simply did not listen. Listen up.

Right now, if you can, create a picture in your mind of who you want to be in 30 years. It needn’t have all the details in place, but fill in as many pixels as possible. Next, identify steps towards that goal. If you haven’t the faintest idea how to get where you want to go, ask someone who might.

If you don’t know who you seek to become, that’s okay. Explore by participating in a variety of extracurricular activities during your first year. Then, narrow the list to a few that you truly enjoy and get very involved. Remember that you don’t have to do everything; it shows more drive and focus to have one or two well-developed interests than to chaotically scatter yourself across 12 organizations. The MIT application only has spaces for four activities.

Start a résumé and update it regularly. This will allow you to keep track of your accomplishments for college and job applications. You may believe that you’ll remember all you’ve done, but you won’t.

Develop and maintain relationships with at least one humanities teacher and one math or science teacher, because you will need them when it comes time for college applications and letters of recommendation. It reflects poorly on you to say, “Hey! I haven’t spoken to you in a year, but can I get a letter of recommendation?”

Never “test and dump” ー don’t forget information after being tested over it. You will learn nothing this way except how to waste time and tax dollars, and it will catch up to you, whether on semester exams, on AP tests, or in college courses.

Find healthy ways to relieve stress (crying, screaming, and compulsive eating don’t count; I checked). Exercise, bake cakes, or meditate; do something, anything, to preserve the fragile flower of your sanity.

Keep a journal. Record your thoughts, experiences, and aspirations. Reflect on what you’ve done and how you could have done it better. This will not only help you grow as a person, but will later serve as inspiration for college essays.

Don’t think you’ve finished growing up. You haven’t; I haven’t; no one ever does.

Good luck, Fishies! You’ll need it.

Love,

Hallie Trial, senior

The Waldron Street Journal is written and edited by students of Flour Bluff High School and they are solely responsible for its editorial policy and content. Viewpoints expressed are not necessarily those of other students, faculty, or the administrations or school boards of the Flour Bluff School District.