Filed under Opinions

Bluff tackles Harvey

Texans Helping Texans

After Harvey ripped through he Coastal Bend on Aug. 25, the community came together to help

Football players cleaned damage that Hurricane Harvey and its 132 mph winds left in its wake in Port Aransas. The girls soccer and tennis teams volunteered at the Coastal Bend Food Bank. Student council distributed school supplies to students affected by the storm. The swimming team collected for the Coastal Bend Food Bank. Many of these seniors helped students from Aransas County and Port Aransas navigate the school.

These outstanding Hornets went above and beyond. I was very proud of my school for helping others in their time of need.

-Tyler Bills, senior

Community Bonding

I am one of the many students from Port Aransas who was recently displaced due to Hurricane Harvey. Harvey caused damage to nearly every home and business within our town. Although it nearly destroyed it, Harvey has brought our community together in unexpected ways. Friends and family of several victims have put their own lives on hold to help. Whether removing damaged furniture or cleaning the walls and floors of flooded houses, there has always been someone eager to lend a hand. Several stands with free food, water, clothing and cleaning supplies lined the streets, staffed entirely by volunteers. Despite all the damage Harvey has caused, it has brought a sense of camaraderie and unity to our town that I didn’t believe was possible.

-Maddie Sheffield, junior

#PortAStrong

Three weeks ago, Port Aransas residents faced a mandatory evacuation as Harvey became a Category 4 hurricane. I remember sobbing in front off the television when it made landfall, and the following days were devastating.

They didn’t let anybody on the island for days afterwards, and the following Monday only homeowners over 18 were allowed to visit. When pictures started to surface, I only cried more. It’s horrible seeing your hometown destroyed, seeing your friends’ homes roofless and seeing your favorite hangout spot trashed.

The first day I was allowed back in town, my mom, and I volunteered at six different homes. When I walked into my uncle’s home, I sobbed. The entire roof had collapsed and the windows were shattered. All I could think was, “why us?” In all truth, there’s no real reason for the destruction.

Port A will never be the same, but that’s not going to stop me from fixing my town and returning it to the amazing island it once was.

-Jaydn Clark, freshman

The Waldron Street Journal is written and edited by students of Flour Bluff High School and they are solely responsible for its editorial policy and content. Viewpoints expressed are not necessarily those of other students, faculty, or the administrations or school boards of the Flour Bluff School District.