Filed under Opinions, Showcase

What’s UP with the bathrooms

Back to Article
Back to Article

What’s UP with the bathrooms

The sinks in the girls bathroom tend to clog and fixtures are old and in need of replacement.

Photo by Blaine Young

Photo by Blaine Young

Photo by Blaine Young

If you’ve ever visited  the bathrooms at the University Preparatory High School Program campus, more commonly known as UP, you’ve probably noticed that they look outdated. These bathrooms are older and in need of renovations.

Both the boys and the girls bathrooms lack air conditioning, so it is always hot and humid. The outside doors to the bathrooms are often kept closed, which keeps air from circulating. The heat and lack of circulation make the bathrooms smell worse. Also, the toilets occasionally overflow, causing there to be water on the floor.

The stalls in the bathrooms are short, probably around 5 feet tall. Even people who are on the shorter side are still taller than the stalls, and that makes things awkward in a school restroom. The gaps around the door hinges leave a large open space, making it easy to see inside.

Photo by Blaine Young
The UP bathrooms are located in a separate building.

In the girls bathroom, the faucets are covered with limescale and rust and the sinks are also frequently clogged. There are holes in the walls of the stalls and they look like they may fall apart. The paper towel dispenser is broken and the paper towels have to be pulled out the front manually, which could be fixed by installing a new dispenser.

In the boys bathroom, there are no mirrors. There was a point a few years ago where there was no soap dispenser, and the boys would have to go to a teacher’s room to wash their hands.

Many teachers and students agree that the bathrooms need work. Even graduated seniors have said that the bathrooms have been in need of renovation for as long as they can remember.

Photo by Krzysztof Gomolka
The boys bathroom lacks mirrors.

In the 2013 bond projects approved by voters,   there are some “high school interior renovations” and “miscellaneous renovations” that will be completed. It is too late to add onto that, but if possible, the district should add UP bathroom renovations to the list of projects that need to be done in a future bond issue. For example, air conditioning should be added and mirrors need to be installed in the boys bathroom. However, while waiting for the next bond issue, the district should consider doing some minor renovations.

The Waldron Street Journal is written and edited by students of Flour Bluff High School and they are solely responsible for its editorial policy and content. Viewpoints expressed are not necessarily those of other students, faculty, or the administrations or school boards of the Flour Bluff School District.