Junior Hallie Trial opens new science chapter

Science National Honor Society Chapter added

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Science National Honor Society members display their awards after being inducted as  Junior Hallie Trial, president, applauds the new members.

The Science National Honor Society members display their awards after being inducted as Junior Hallie Trial, president, applauds the new members.

Photo by Blaine Young

Photo by Blaine Young

Photo by Blaine Young

Science National Honor Society was started by junior Hallie Trial and group sponsor Beth Huckabee when they saw someone wearing a SNHS shirt at an academic event.

SNHS is a program where people who enjoy and excel in science, can come and grow together and be able to help out the community, Huckabee said.

The process of becoming a member of SNHS can be long. At the beginning of next year, an announcement will be made that will go over the requirements and where to get an application. After the application is turned in, students will then be interviewed to determine if they fit the criteria for the program.

In order to create a Flour Bluff High School Chapter, you have to fill out an application and pay a one time fee of 100 dollars. The principal then has to write a request to see if the school is able to get that chapter added to the school. In order to continue to have the chapter after being accepted, you have to pay the yearly dues of 40 dollars.

“Our goal in funding Science National Honor Society was to take that group and (grow) it into a real community and to give the students the opportunity to learn from one another, teach one another, and work hard side by side,” Trial said.

Each student has their own personal goal alongside the overall goal of the program itself.

“I believe the goal is to help the environment, expand your knowledge of science, and share your knowledge of science with others,” junior Sarah Kurtz said

Kurtz was previously the historian at her previous school’s science club and loved being able to learn more about science and help others while learning about the local environment.

The group is currently working over at the Intermediate campus in a student garden where they grow different types of plants and learn the importance of taking care of the environment around you.